Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Science Week

As science week begins at our beloved (...on some days, despised on others) University of Malta, university is full of kids on school outings. I can't help looking at them and feel sorry for them.
This is not a grumpy blog.
I just think that when you look at a six year old and think that most probably this lively little kid is likely to have another 15 years(or more) of arse flattening studying ahead of him/her it makes me want to give the kid a big hug...poor thing!
I'm not saying that studying is horrible, far from it! I think I have learnt a lot of really interesting things in the last 17 years of my life...it's just the system and the side effects that are wrong.
why should I have a headache every day of my life?
why should I lose my hunger whenever I have a deadline?
why? pls tell me why because I really don't get it! during erasmus I never suffered from all this. So what is wrong? is it something in San Michel water or the Maltese air?

3 comments:

  1. It's the system... the approach to teaching and learning... There isn't a balance. After a day of lectures one needs a break in the fresh air, one needs to breathe....to think and plan to be able to, at the end of the day, work better. At science week there was a session in the quad done by an English guy. The kids enjoyed it so much! Some were actually standing up they were so excited and they were almost screaming in joy! He approached teaching science in such a wonderful way, I simply stared in awe. Maybe there is some hope... but we have to establish a new equilibrium... we need more time for important things like expressing oneself, inventing, imagining, and running about in the 'fresh air'! What you can learn and how u live life is limited when your life involves a day working at school and eve working at home inside.


    PS: lol about san michel! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. studying is not beautiful... studying sucks. learning, thats fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...but studying is part of the learning process...ultimately it's a necessary evil!

    ReplyDelete